Thursday, November 19, 2009

What type of heat pump to choose? – PART 2

First step is to calculate how much specific heat loss your building has per square meter of usable floors (heat loss in W/m2). If your house has more than 60W/m2 maximum specific heat loss then I would not recommend installing heat pump. You should first think of additional insulation of the house. Typical house where heat pump is much recommended:

  • Net floor area = 150m2

  • Needed heat per year = 45kWh/m2 per year

  • Max Specific Heat loss 35 W/m2

To calculate heat loss you need a bit of engineering and mathematics, but I would recommend finding an engineer who has experience in calculating building heat loss. It also depends in what climate area you are living, what are your additional heat sources during the winter (solar roof, windows to the south…).